The reigning world and Olympic champions are among the competitors.
An Olympic event in the programme of the 17th FINA World Championships. Sunday will be the day of women’s 10k race where Aurélie Muller, world title holder, as well as reigning Olympic champion, Sharon van Rouwendaal will be among competitors. This event has been on the programme of the World Championships since 2001 and the host nation has never won this race so far. Now the two Hungarian swimmers, Anna Olasz and Kata Sömenek Onon have the the opportunity to fight for the first place.
· Aurélie Muller (FRA) could win back-to-back world titles in women's 10km. The only athlete to have achieved back-to-back wins in this event was Larissa Ilchenko (RUS) who won three in a row in 2006, 2007, 2008.
· Angela Maurer (GER) has won three medals in the women's 10km and now she has a chance to come close to the record of Edith van Dijk (NED, 4) with four medals in this event.
· These will be the 14th (Open Water) World Championships for Maurer, she holds the record in this respect.
· Maurer has won 13 World Championships medals, all in open water swimming, coming second behind Van Dijk's 15 jointly with Britta Kamrau-Coresteijn (13).
· Sharon van Rouwendaal (NED) is the first Olympic champion in women's 10km to claim a medal in the same event at the World Championships after winning Olympic gold. Van Rouwendaal took silver at the World Championships in 2015.
· Ilchenko had won her three gold medals before winning gold at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
· Ana Marcela Cunha (BRA) clinched silver (2013) and bronze (2015) in this event at the last two World Championships. Only Ilchenko and Martina Grimaldi (ITA, 2009-2011) had managed to win a medal in this event at three World Championships in a row.
· Cunha joined Grimaldi, as they are the only swimmers to claim gold, silver and bronze in women's 10km. Maurer may accomplish the same.
· Germany and Russia have won a record three gold medals in this event.
· Italy and Germany have claimed a record of eight medals in total in women's 10km.
· Italy's Arianna Bridi (4) has claimed most podium finishes in all four World Cup events since the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. She claimed a podium finish in every event except for the last one in Setubal.
· Rachele Bruni (ITA) took silver in this event at the Rio Games and she could now win her first medal at the World Championships.
· Since Rio, Bruni has won two World Cup events, making her the only swimmer of multiple wins in the 10km event.
· Anna Olasz (HUN) hopes to hand Hungary its first medal in this event. A host nation has never won women's 10km event at the World Championships.