Event Preview: Men's 3m Springboard Synchro
Most important facts about the Men's 3m Springboard Synchro event.
- China has won eight of the nine editions of the 3m springboard synchro at the world championships.
- The sole exception came back in 2003 when Aleksandr Dobroskok (RUS) and Dmitriy Sautin (RUS) claimed the gold medal for Russia.
- Qin Kai (CHN) won a record five gold medals in this event (2007-2015) with four different partners, but he retired from international competition after the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Qin's partner at the 2015 world championships in Kazan, Cao Yuan (CHN), now seeks to retain his title with Xie Siyi (CHN). The duo won three of the four 3m springboard synchro events in the FINA Diving World Series this year.
- The only other duo to win this event at the World Series this year was Ilya Zakharov (RUS)/Evgeniy Kuznetsov (RUS) in the final meet in Windsor, Canada.
- Zakharov and Kuznetsov claimed the silver medal in the men's 3m springboard synchro event at the last three world championships. No other divers have finished second in this event more than once.
- They could become the first divers to claim a silver medal in a specific event at four consecutive world championships.
- Zakharov and Kuznetsov can become the first non-Chinese winners of this event since fellow Russians Dobroskok and Sautin in 2003.
- Zakharov and Kuznetsov also won this event at the European Championships in Kiev, Ukraine, in June. They beat Illya Kvasha (UKR) and Oleg Kolodiy (UKR), who finished in second place, and James Heatly (GBR) and Freddie Woodward (GBR).
- At the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games, Jack Laugher (GBR) and Chris Mears (GBR) won the men's 3m springboard synchro, ahead of United States (silver) and China (bronze).
- Coming into the 2017 FINA World Championships, Great Britain has won two gold diving medals across all events. Thomas Daley (GBR) won the men's 10m platform in 2009 as well as the team event with Rebecca Gallantree (GBR) in 2015.
- Laugher and Mears took home the bronze medal in this event at the 2015 world championships in Kazan.
- Germany (S2-B2) has claimed four medals in the men's 3m springboard synchro at the world championships, third-most behind China (9) and Russia (5), but no German duo has finished on the podium since 2007, when Andreas Wels (GER) and Tobias Schellenberg (GER) finished third.