A whole new form of team competition in open water swimming introduced at the 17th FINA World Championships.
· Germany is the only team to have won a medal at all three editions of mixed team event at the World Championships (since the World Champs programme features this event) - in 2011 (bronze), 2013 (gold) and 2015 (gold).
· Isabelle Härle (GER) and Christian Reichert (GER) are the only swimmers on two world titles in this event. Härle (bronze medallist in 2011) is the only one who has a chance to claim a medal in all three editions.
· Rob Muffels (GER) could win his second gold in this event, after winning in 2015. He is the only German team member from 2015 who returns to the mixed team in 2017.
· In 2015, Brazil and the Netherlands shared the silver medal, finishing in a dead heat for second place.
· Brazil claimed a bronze medal as well in 2013, and it can now equal Germany on a record three medals in this event.
· The other countries to have won a medal include the United States (gold 2011), Australia (silver 2011) and Greece (silver 2013).